Food Stamps, Cash Assistance, Childcare, Medical aids, Transportation Services, Voter Registration, Pregnancy

Voter Registration

Voter Registration

Congress enacted the National Voter Registration Act of 1993 - also known as "NVRA" or the "Motor Voter Act" - to increase voting opportunities for every American. Seeking to establish procedures that make registering to vote easier for citizens, the act includes a requirement that states integrate voter registration activities at all offices that provide public assistance, and all offices that provide state-funded programs primarily engaged in providing services to persons with disabilities. Franklin County Department of Job and Family Services is one local agency designated by Ohio law to offer voter registration services. The law mandates that at each application, reapplication or address change for Ohio Works First, Disability Financial Assistance, Food Assistance, Medicaid, and Prevention, Retention and Contingency programs, applicants must be asked whether they would like to register to vote and given an NVRA Notice of Rights form. If they answer "yes," they must be provided with a voter registration form. FCDJFS must then forward the completed application to our local board of elections within a period of not more than five days.

Our agency’s goal is to ensure that every customer has an opportunity to register to vote. Applications and assistance with the voter registration process is provided to customers at all FCDJFS locations.

Laws, Rules and Materials
Below are links to laws, rules and other material regarding the National Voter Registration Act:

The Ohio Secretary of State’s Office began offering Ohioans the ability to register to vote online effective January 1, 2017. The Secretary of State’s Online Voter Registration (OLVR) system allows an applicant to securely and efficiently submit a voter registration application online to the Secretary of State’s Office. Click this image to register to vote or update your voter registration information.

NVRA Agency and Site Coordinators for Franklin County Department of Job and Family Services
For more information about the NVRA program, you may contact one of the FCDJFS Coordinators listed below; or send an email to:NVRACoordinators@fcdjfs.franklincountyohio.gov

Agency Coordinator

Janel Theiss, Policy Compliance Manager

Quality Support Services

1721 Northland Park Ave
Columbus, Ohio 43229
Tel: (614) 233-2000 / Fax: 233-2020

NVRA Site Coordinators

Deric Norris

Clerical Support Supervisor

West Opportunity Center
314 N. Wilson Rd.
Columbus, Ohio 43204

Amber Moore

Clerical Support Supervisor

East Opportunity Center
1055 Mt. Vernon Ave.
Columbus, Ohio 43203

Angela Wagner

Clerical Support Supervisor

Northland Village Opportunity Center
1721 Northland Park Ave
Columbus, Ohio 43229

Carl Emerson

Clerical Support Supervisor

Northland Village Opportunity Center
1721 Northland Park Ave
Columbus, Ohio 43229

Leandra Coles

Clerical Support Supervisor

Northland Village Opportunity Center
1721 Northland Park Ave
Columbus, Ohio 43229

Gena Phillips

Clerical Support Supervisor

Workforce Development
1721 Northland Park Ave
Columbus, Ohio 43229

(Click on a question to view the answer) Expand All Answers
Information Last Updated: 6/24/2017 12:00:00 AM

Frequently Asked Questions

To vote in an election in Ohio, does a person have to be registered to vote?


How does a person know whether he or she is qualified to register and to vote in Ohio?

A person is qualified to register to vote in Ohio if that person meets all the following requirements:

  1. The person is a citizen of the United States
  2. The person will be at least 18 years old on or before the day of the next general election
  3. The person will be a resident of Ohio for at least 30 days immediately before the election in which the person wants to vote
  4. The person is not incarcerated (in prison) for a felony conviction under the laws of this state, another state or the U.S.
  5. The person has not been declared incompetent for voting purposes by a probate court
  6. The person has not been otherwise barred from voting in this state
   Once a person is properly registered to vote in this state, the person may vote in elections that occur more than 30 consecutive days after the person registered.

Does an applicant declare his or her political party affiliation at the time of registration?

No. An elector declares his or her politics by voting in a party primary election.

Does an applicant ever have to re-register to vote?

Yes, if the voter moves, changes his or her name, or fails to respond to an official notice from the board of elections and does not vote or update his or her voter registration at least once during a period of four years, including two federal elections, subsequent to receipt of the notice from the board of elections.

Can a person register if he or she is illiterate?

Yes.  If someone who is unable to read or write wishes to register or update an existing registration, you can read the instructions and help him or her complete the form.  If the customer is unable to sign, then pursuant to R.C. 3503.14, he or she is allowed to mark an “X” in the signature box indicating the customer’s intent to register to vote or update a current voter registration.  If the customer registers in this manner, the employee helping must sign the customer’s name in the signature box and then sign the employee’s own name.  If a customer is unable to make a mark, the customer must indicate in some manner his or her desire to register to vote or update a current registration.  The employee shall sign the customer’s name and the employee’s own name and attest that the applicant desires to register or update his or her voter registration.

Where can I register to vote and obtain a registration form?

In person - You may register in person at any of the public offices listed below:

  1. Any county board of elections
  2. Office of the Secretary of State
  3. Public libraries
  4. Public high schools or vocational schools
  5. County treasurers’ offices
  6. At the office of any registrar of the Bureau of Motor Vehicles
  7. State and local offices of designated agencies that provide public assistance or disability programs, including the departments of: job and family services, health, mental health, mental retardation and developmental disabilities, rehabilitation services commission, or each office that provides assistance to disabled students of a state-supported college or university

By Mail – You may request a registration form from a board of elections or the Secretary of State’s Office by mail, telephone, in person, or by having another person obtain it for you.

You may download an enterable voter registration application right here Voter Registration Form, or by visiting the Secretary of State’s Web site at Ohio Secretary of State