What is the income guideline for food assistance?
What do I need to bring with me to apply for food assistance?
In order for Job and Family Services to complete your application as soon as possible you will have to provide accurate verifications of your identity, residency, household income,and expenses. Some items that you should consider bringing with you are:
- Social security cards or proof of an application for everyone who will be receiving the benefits (we may be able to check our system).Verification of residency (i.e. lease agreement or utility bill in your name)
- Verification of household income earned and unearned income( pay stubs, child support, Social Security Income, or any other income you are receiving or you have received within the last 30 days)Verification of child support paid
- Verification of Mortgage/rent (via rent receipt from last 30 days, current lease agreement in your name, or letter from person that you are living with that includes how much you pay per month)
- Verification of Utility Cost (utility bill in your name or letter from landlord stating that you are responsible for the utility represented in the bill)
- Child care expenses (receipt or letter from childcare provider stating how much you pay for childcare services).
- If you are receiving Childcare Assistance from Franklin County Department of Job and Family Services we will be able to look up your co pay Medical Expense(if you are aged/ blind or disabled)
If I am not a U. S. citizen can I receive food assistance?
Possibly. Some non U.S. citizens may be eligible to receive food stamps. Your assigned Job and Family Services Case Manager will help to determine your eligibility.
How long would it take before I receive food assistance after I apply?
Expedited services are available for households with no income and who meet the expedited guideline within 24 to 72 hours. For non expedited services if all verifications are received the food assistance can be issued earlier. When approved, the card will be received within 5 – 10 days.
Where can I apply for food assistance?
You can apply at one of the three Opportunity Centers depending on your zip code or through Ohio Benefit Bank
Apply online at odjfsbenefits.ohio.gov
How much food assistance will I receive?
The amount of food assistance you will receive is based on your household size, income and expenses.
Can I buy anything with my food assistance card?
Household items, magazines, newspapers, tobacco products, medicine, paper goods, vitamins, or alcoholic drinks may not be purchased with food assistance card. For more information about your EBT card please read the EBT FAQ document
How long can I receive food assistance?
As long as your income falls within the guidelines and you abide by the rules and regulations of the food assistance program.
How do I reapply for food assistance ?
Each customer will receive an appointment letter to call in to the agency for an interview to re-determine eligibility for Food Assistance. The appointment letter will state a time and day for you to call the agency to complete your interview. Our interview phone lines are open from 8am to 12pm. Please be sure to check your appointment letter, and call us at your scheduled interview time. Failing to conduct this interview may result in the delay or termination of your benefits. The interview hotline 614-233-2905 should only be used to complete your interview or to reschedule your interview. For other inquiries, please contact our call center at 614-233-2000.
How can I prepare for the Food Assistance reapplication interview?
Each customer will receive an appointment letter with instructions on documents needed to re-determine eligibility. Please submit a signed 7204 prior to the interview, along with all requested verifications. Doing so, increases your chances of being approved the same day. Not submitting the needed documents will very likely cause a delay in re-determining your benefits. Verifications submitted should be current and not older than 30 days.
How long do I have to return requested verifications?
10 days total from the date printed on the request for verifications.