Food Stamps, Cash Assistance, Childcare, Medical aids, Transportation Services, Voter Registration, Pregnancy

Child Care Licensing - Type B Home Providers

Child Care Licensing - Type B Home Providers
In Ohio, anyone who wants to provide child care services in their home to no more than six children who are eligible for Publicly Funded Child Care (PFCC) must be licensed as a Type B Home Provider.

(Click on a question to view the answer) Expand All Answers
Information Last Updated: 6/24/2017 12:00:00 AM

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I become a Type B Home Provider?

Individuals interested in becoming a home provider must complete the Professional Type B Home Child Care Licensing Packet and contact Action For Children at (614)224-0222 to begin the application process.

FCDJFS will review completed applications, conduct necessary inspections, and submit a recommendation for licensure to the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services (ODJFS). If licensure is approved by ODJFS, FCDJFS will conduct on-going inspections and monitor compliance in accordance with state licensure rules.

Orientation Dates Flyer 2016

What are the minimum qualifications to become a Type B Provider?

To become a Type B provider you must meet the following minimum qualifications:

  • Have a high school diploma or GED
  • Pass a home inspection
  • Pass local, FBI and BCI background checks for the provider, any adult living in the home, AND identified emergency/substitute caregivers
  • Attend First Aid, CPR and Health and Safety trainings for the provider AND approved emergency/substitute caregivers
  • Attend 6 hours of training annually to maintain licensure
  • Be at least 18 years of age
  • Provide child care services only in their home of residence
  • Have a working cell phone or land-line telephone
For a complete list of requirements, please review the Child Care manual/rules for Family Child Care, and In-Home Aides:STATE OF OHIO FAMILY CHILD CARE RULES

To obtain an application and additional information on how to become a Type B home provider, please follow this link:Becoming a Licensed Home Provider

You may also request applications, forms and additional information by calling the FCDJFS Child Care Program at (614) 212-1721.

*Please note that phone requests for child care documentation may take up to (5) business days to be processed. For calls pertaining to the application process, please call Action For Children at (614)-224-0222